Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Food of the Navajo

Occasionally you experience something so massive, so large and so impressive that it's awe-inspiring and bewildering at the same time.  It's like walking into the Sistine Chapel,  the first time you heard the Beatles and your first lift station inspection.  Well folks, this happened to me the other day - but no it was not the gorgeous vistas that pervade the area - but rather the Navajo Taco!

The Navajo taco is similar to a normal taco however instead of using a flour or corn totilla it uses a little thing called fry bread.  Fry bread is a delicious invention that reminds me of some of delicacies of the Indiana State Fair - such as chocolate covered bacon or deep fried pepsi (doesn't make sense to me either but still delicious).  Anyways, fry bread is composed of Bluebell flour, baking soda and salt and fried in lard.  It is gigantic probably the size of a small pizza.  The first time I had fry bread I put butter on it which was both succulent and savory but nowhere near the orgasmic feelings aroused by the Navajo Taco.

The Navajo taco was one of the most scrumplescent, awe-inspiring foods I'd ever had.  It was also probably the most unhealthy food I ever had.  So on the foody scale of one to ten - I'd give the Navajo Taco an 8.5, the 1.5 deducted merely because it lowered my heart attack age from 61 to 58.

No comments:

Post a Comment